How paper quality affects printer wear
This material will help many users to find out a useful thing, namely, how the quality of the paper affects the wear of the printer, and which paper to buy for it. Most users of printing equipment think about what factors can affect the wear rate of some parts of the printer only after the device has visited a service center a couple of times. The paper you print on at first glance may seem like a normal consumable that does not affect wear on parts. However, this opinion is erroneous. Poor paper quality can significantly accelerate the unpleasant moment of visiting a service center. Let us try to figure out with you exactly how and what particular details are affected by the poor quality of the material.
To begin with, I would like to clarify that paper affects different types of printers in different ways. This is due to the fact that the inkjet printer does not directly contact the paper with its printhead, so it has less wear. And in the laser unit, the cartridge has tight contact with the paper, so the quality is reflected a little more on it.
The first thing I would like to talk about inkjet apparatus. As I said earlier, there is no direct contact with the head, so the paper quality does not specifically affect it. But there are some printer nodes that are not so expensive, but no less important, on which the material can have a strong impact. Poor quality paper is rougher and tougher. In this regard, the paper pickup roller is more difficult to take the material and send it to the printer, and as a result, the rubber coating of the shaft is erased and loses its exciting properties. As a result, after some time of printing on low quality paper, the roller will not be able to take any paper, even the best quality. And here you cannot do without visiting a service center to restore or replace a video. In an inkjet printer, the ink is, as it were, sprayed onto the paper in the form of some kind of steam or gas. Quality paper completely absorbs ink vapor, and poor quality material takes about 80%. The remaining 20% scatter inside the printer and settle on some nodes. Here the most unpleasant thing is getting ink and settling on the disk to determine the vertical position of the paper in the printer. It is a transparent disk with an opaque notch. There is an LED on one side, and a photoresistor on the other. A rotating disk opens and closes the light stream from the LED to the photoresistor. Due to this blinking, the position of the paper in the printer is determined. If ink gets on this disk, its transparency is impaired, and as a result, it becomes difficult for the printer to correctly determine the position of the paper in the machine. The positioning tape works in the same way. Contact with ink vapor makes it difficult for the printer to determine the position of the print head. In this case, printing and gaps will appear. It is not difficult to clean the tape and the disc yourself, but an incorrectly performed operation can lead to complete damage to the unit. These were the highlights of the impact of poor quality paper on an inkjet printer.
In a laser printer, the effect of paper is slightly different. But just like in an inkjet printer, the laser also needs to grab the paper and send it to the printer. All this is done in the same roller as in the inkjet. Therefore, the effect of poor paper quality on this roller is absolutely the same as in the inkjet unit.
The most influential material of poor quality in a laser printer is the cartridge. The image you are printing is transferred from the cartridge to the paper, as if squeezing it through a photoconductor, the coating of which is very sensitive to poor quality materials. The roughness of the paper very quickly erases the photosensitive coating and you cannot do without replacing the drum unit in the service center. In addition, the pile of poor quality paper gets inside the cartridge and contaminates the contacts and its other nodes, and on the high quality material the pile is smoothed out and getting inside the printer is almost completely eliminated.
After the image is transferred to paper, the print is transferred to the printer’s stove, where it heats up to 180 degrees. The paper passes between two shafts, in one of which is a heating element. The coating of these shafts is heat-resistant, but it erases with frequent contact with poor quality paper. In this case, the image starts to blur. Replacing the cover of these shafts is still quite expensive. At the same time, there are very few service centers that can do this operation really correctly. And in most cases you have the same problem after a rather short period of time.
Based on the foregoing, you can see how ordinary, low-quality supplies can significantly reduce the life of your printing unit.